February 27, 2013

My Mom's Beautiful Needlework

I have not been blogging much or reading other people's blogs recently and I apologize for that. The reason is that my mother is in the last stages of terminal myxofibrosarcoma and I don't have any idea what I am doing most of the time.

Today though, I thought I would honor my mom by showing you some of her beautiful work that I have in my stitching room.

Reverse Applique

Wall Hanging (with matching quilt upstairs in my hope chest)

Appliqued Hearts (by me) and Quilting by my Mom

Message on the back of the hearts applique from my mom

This is only a small fraction of her work that I have in my house. Before she lost the use of her arms and hands from the cancer, my mom was an extremely talented quilter and an expert on the longarm machine, which takes up an entire room and costs about as much as an economy car. She had her own quilting business and was quite well known in Virginia and West Virginia. She had just started to get her business going again in South Carolina when they got the news that the cancer was back and was going to be terminal.

I feel very lucky that she made so many quilts for me and for her grandsons. Ben still uses the rag quilt she made for him when he was in elementary school, even though it is almost threadbare. He loves that quilt so much that he won't use the two new ones she made to replace it when it wore out! I know how much she misses her quilting and I hope that if she reads this, she will remember that even though she can no longer work at the longarm, there are quilts all over the Mid-Atlantic region that people will treasure for generations.

For right now, I am kind of turning in circles and not knowing what to do with myself when I am not crying, sleeping, or getting really angry at a God that, if he exists, took my best friend from me in October 2012 with breast cancer and now is taking my mother. The pain and suffering that goes with cancer is simply inconceivable, both for the patient and the family.

I spent two weeks in South Carolina this month with my mom and dad, just hanging out and helping as best I could. Mom and I spent a lot of quality time together and had a lot of good talks. We still talk on the phone, although now she has to be on speaker because she can no longer hold the phone. I treasure each and every conversation with her. She is such a strong, beautiful spirit and it just makes me sick that cancer doesn't discriminate between the good and the bad.

I have been doing some cross stitch and will post an update at some point soon so you can see my progress. In the meantime, I hope you are all doing well.

Happy stitching!


 

5 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about you Chelle. Your mom's work is beautiful!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom's work is absolutely beautiful! Cherish every moment with your mom and find comfort in the love you and her share. I too have a mom dealing with terminal cancer. It is agonizing. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your mom Chelle. Sending happy thoughts your way. Your mom's work is stunning.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilting! Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work from your mum! Thinking of you & keep strong. Cherish every moment shared together xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts for me. I love comments and suggestions!