January 04, 2013

A New Start in the New Year

It's been awhile since my last update, but that doesn't mean my fingers haven't been busy! In fact, when we went to my parents' house for Christmas, I picked up a new skill - crochet!


This was about how big it was before we left to come home and the picture below is where I was last night.


This pattern (my mom's actually) calls for seven skeins of yarn and I have finished four and a third, so it's going to be large. And that was my goal, because I wanted something you could really wrap up in when it's freezing outside. I'm having so much fun with this project that I promised Jamie and Joey both a blanket for their rooms. Unfortunately, Jamie picked black and gray as his colors, so I don't know that it will be as much fun to do that one, but Joey wants blue and red and that will be a little more interesting.

Of course, I haven't forgotten my cross stitching. I picked up my sampler that I got back in June at In Stitches and decided to see if I could get that project finished. Here is where I am right now.

Sweet Humility Sampler by Brenda Keyes

I hope to have this finished up by the end of January.

Our latest project for the Embroidery Guild is this adorable little scissors case. I've finished it completely except for putting the cording on the edges and adding some beads to a couple of tassels at the bottom. This one should be finished up by the end of the weekend. It was worked on canvas, so I can't say I'll be sorry to see it go. It's been hard on the fingers.

Hapsburg Lace Scissors Case by Tanya Berlin

I will be starting a new project to be worked on weekly with a couple of friends from the guild. This is an old Hardanger pattern and I will be stitching it on 22 count light rose linen with white perle cotton. I'm terrified of any pattern that calls for cutting pieces of fabric out, but I really want to learn this technique.



I found this Little House Needleworks pattern at our new local needlework shop in Middletown. I thought it would be fun to do, as it is in honor of the EGA. Someone suggested giving it as a gift to our President for forming our chapter, but I doubt I will be able to let it go once I've stitched it up! We'll see!

Embroidery Guild by Little House Needleworks

Of course, there are other projects that are in progress and we will be starting a new "band" sampler for the guild which will take all year to finish. I certainly have enough to keep me busy for several lifetimes.

And, just because I didn't have enough on my plate, I signed up for Vonna's sheep stitch along. You can find information at The Twisted Stitcher under "Blogs I am Hosting" down on the right hand side. For some reason, Blogger isn't letting me put this in as a link, but I am sure you all know Vonna. This will also be a year long commitment. What am I thinking??? I hope I can find enough hours to get all of these things done! But what stitcher's stash is complete without a pile of UFO's?

I am loving the crocheting so much that I was thinking I might start making some baby blankets or lap blankets for the local hospital or hospice. I need to find out who would be the person to contact about that after I finish the one I am making for the couch and the ones for the boys. I'm assuming Ben will probably want one as well, so I need to get his color request. Hopefully it will be something bright!

Finally, I was nominated twice for the Liebster Blog award and I want to thank the two women who nominated me (as soon as I go back and get their names!) I'm not going to nominate anyone right now, as I simply don't have time to find 5 blogs that have less than 200 followers. I hope to do that in the future, along with putting up the new "flower" symbol for the award. Thank you to whoever you were who nominated me. I really do love you!

As you all know, I lost my dear friend, Malea, in October to breast cancer. I got my notice in the mail from the insurance company a couple of weeks ago that I am due for a mammogram. I am going to be calling to schedule my appointment for this month. Please make sure you are doing your monthly self checks and getting a mammogram once a year. It could save your life. I'm doing it for Malea, because I know she would want me to.

I'm trying to remember the good times we had and the things that she taught me. My favorite lesson I learned from Malea (while I was bringing her home from radiation!) was to never lock my car door from the door lock button. I had always locked my car from that little button on the door until the day that I overshot my purse and locked my keys in the car two hours away from home. Thank God for keyless entry! Always have your keys in hand and use the attachment to your key to lock it from the outside. Every time I lock up my car, I think of Malea. I think she'd like that.


 

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on learning to crochet Chelle. I love to make granny squares. Great new stash. Love the pieces your working on.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love your afghan! I use to crochet but I only knew the basic stitches and I could never figure out how to read the patterns so I gave it up. Your new stash looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, I am not really following a pattern. I am just doing a double crochet row and then a half double row. I will need to find a way to make the outside rows thicker because I am chaining four to make the turn and it is leaving fairly large holes on the ends. Otherwise, it's working like a charm.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on learning to crochet! You have already made such awesome progress on your first afghan! Your sampler is so pretty. You chose wonderful fabric for your Hardanger piece. The EGA one looks fun to stitch!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts for me. I love comments and suggestions!