November 13, 2012

Update from the Survival Zone

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. It's been a rough few weeks, with Malea's passing away on October 21st and my mom getting sick again. But I wanted to show you what I am working on for the Embroidery Guild of America (Winchester Chapter). This month we started a Hapsburg Lace Scissors Case designed by Tanya Berlin. Here is what it will look like when it is finished:


And here is what mine looks like right now:


I'm a little stymied on putting the ribbon in and I want to get some help from some of the other embroiderers this Friday at sewing club.

I've also been working on my HAED quite a bit. Here's where I am right now:


There is nothing but blue on the horizon of the next few pages, so I will plug along and hope for some color changes.

The last time I saw Malea, she urged me to sit and cross stitch when she was sleeping. I asked her about the projects she was working on. One of them she had finished and I wanted to take it to get it framed for her. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate it in the house, as they had brought home bags and bags of stuff from the hospital and she was a little too out of it to know where it was. Since she made it for her granddaughter, I have told her husband to mail it to me if he finds it so I can have it framed and send it to her son.

I also took in the beautiful butterfly she made me. I added a cutout in the matting with "Designed and Stitched by Malea Kanoho" and her birth and death dates. It was very hard to drop it off, because we had picked out the framing I was going to use when she came to see me for my birthday in July and I even got the same woman who was there and she remembered when we had come in. It will be ready by November 19th and I will be sure to post a picture.

While I was looking for the piece for her granddaughter, I did find this project that Malea had started when we had our weekend away in August.


I knew when I saw her that there was no way she would be able to ever finish this. They had her very medicated and she was in hospice care. This was in a bag with another project she had started for her mother. I grabbed this one, since I had given her the pattern and the supplies and will try to figure out where she was in the pattern so I can finish it for her. I regret that I didn't grab the one she had started for her mom, since I have not been back to their house, but I told her husband to mail me that one too, if he finds it, and I will finish it and have it framed and send it to her mom.

This has been a very tough time for me and I have to say that without Justin, my kids, and my furry, four-legged family members, I would not be making it. So, we have decided to add one more to our collection of animals. Meet Princess Sophie Malea.


Sophie will be coming to stay on Friday afternoon. We could have had her today, but we know those first couple of nights will be hard for her, so we wanted to be able to get up and down to make her feel more at ease.

She is a pure bred border collie, second cousin to our five year old, Charlotte. We will co-own her with our vet (pictured here) and we may breed her when we see what she is going to look like in six months. It will be up to our veterinarian, as she will retain the right to make that decision. Sophie comes from a very distinguished line of border collies and is an absolute doll. Jack took to the puppies like he was one of them and was so excited. Charlotte maintained her regal bearing and did not deign to play, but she wasn't territorial either. I think we will stop with three dogs and two cats, as we are becoming a farm without the land!

No other news right now. I hope all of you are doing well and I am sorry I have been unable to keep up with your blogs. I hope to be back to reading and commenting soon.


 

4 comments:

  1. Your HAED looks fantastic! The Hapsburg Lace Scissors case is very fancy and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress on both pieces Chelle. Sorry to hear your still having a hard time dealing with Malea. I'm sure Princess Sophie Malea will help you cope. What an adorable little princess.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about you. The pieces you have look wonderful, and I hope the piece you will finish for Malea will be a healing process for you. And your puppy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The HAED and the Habsburger Lace Schere Fall are beautiful.

    Greetings Manuela

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts for me. I love comments and suggestions!