July 09, 2012

SAL Update and Other Things

Yesterday, we went down to my Mother-In-Law's to visit, as it was the one year anniversary of my Father-In-Law's passing. I thought it was going to be awful, but it seems like everyone is coping all right. I could see a lot of sadness in Justin and have over the past couple of weeks, which isn't surprising. It was good to see my MIL and her mom, who is still alive and wonderful at 97. We got to talking about all of the things that have changed since she was born in 1915 and she told us a really funny story about running her father's Model T Ford into the garden because she didn't know how to stop it. Right through a fence and, if it hadn't stopped, it would have gone all the way down the hill into the creek. Thank God for vegetables!

Anyway, Sunday is SAL day for All Hearts Come Home. I took it with me and got Santa's beard filled in on the drive to and from:


As we were driving home, we hit a huge, severe thunderstorm that scared the crap out of me. The lightning was hitting everywhere around us, the trees were whipping around, and the rain was going sideways and coming down hard. All I could do was hold onto my sewing with a death grip and hope the lightning didn't hit the car, since my hubby and my two precious younger kids were in it. And it was my brand new car.

Made it home and then it really started in and we had hail. What the heck is going on with the weather this year? And then we lost the power again. Last time, when the derecho came through, it took eight hours for it to come back and and everyone knows how hot it's been. So, I was afraid it was going to be out with no air conditioning for another night. Justin went and got ice and some milk to keep in it, but I guess that's how you magically get the utilities to work, because by the time he got back, the power had come back. It was only out an hour this time and so I was able to stitch in the reindeer's head and that little ornament you see up by Santa's hat. Not nearly as much stitching as I like to do in a day, but what are you going to do when family obligations and mother nature say you have to take a day off?

I am loving stitching the HAED on the 16 count aida and am so glad I followed Carrie's advice, even though the finished piece will be approximately two by three feet. I will worry about framing costs when I finish it - probably 5-10 years down the road. The coverage is awesome and I can actually see the holes. I can also frog if I need to because the stitches aren't so small and the back isn't so tight.


I will be working on this today because I am really enjoying it now and also maybe doing some finishing work. I need to lace and frame my secret gift.

I also decided that now that I know how to properly finish my sewing, I would redo the Butterfly Angel, so I took her out of the frame and removed my initials and the date because I really hated where I had put them and they were so large. I am going to have to have a frame made for this one because you simply cannot find square frames in our craft stores. Justin told me he thinks I should take out the wording at the bottom and finish it as a square. What do you think?


I'm kind of agreeing with him. I really want the focus to be on the angel. I would love to find a very simple cursive alphabet that I could use to put Juliana's name on the bottom and her birth and death dates, as well as my own initials and the year. Any thoughts on where I could find small cross stitch alphabets?

Since you all have been so awesome in following my blog and leaving me comments, I would love to pay back that kindness. So, I will be going through my old charts that I have finished and doing a giveaway of one of them. Stay tuned for that!

I am supposed to take my son to the DMV for his second shot at his learner's permit and I'm positive he will pass this time because I made him go to the website with me and take the practice tests. But it's still raining here (and the temperature has finally broken by 30 degrees), so I may say we're going to wait until tomorrow because I hate going out in the rain. We'll see if it clears up by this afternoon.

Happy stitching!


  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chelle,

    the Angel-Embroidery ist very beautiful.

    Greetings Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Der Engel ist wunderschön. Ich mag auch sehr den Weihnachtsmann. Und freue mich auf Dein HEAD Projekt.
    Liebe Grüße Grit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since moving to Texas I have had to get used to thunderstorms. When I lived in Poland we got them all the time but when you live in a giant 10-story cement Soviet block, the wind and rain don't really affect you and you can gaze out wistfully as the lightning forks across the sky. But out here I live on the second story of an apartment which, yes, is made partly of brick, but when the wind whips by it howls through the windows and everything creaks and when the lightning and thunder crack all the glasses in the kitchen shake. It can be pretty scary.

    I'm glad you're enjoying the HAED more now. Different people like to stitch on different counts. I LOVE my 25 count but it's not for everyone.

    Also, you can find little alphabets online. Just do a search for cross stitch alphabets or even cross stitch letter samplers or something and you'll get a bunch of freebie results.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts for me. I love comments and suggestions!