July 01, 2012

SAL and Finishing

Today I begin my SAL with Carrie and Linda of All Hearts Come Home by Diane Arthurs.


It's not too late to join us, so please contact me, Carrie, or Linda if you would like to join in. This is going to be a fun stitch, with sequins and buttons and bells, oh my! And it's not so big that you won't be able to finish in time for Christmas.

I have decided to change the fabric I will be using for my HAED, as I am not happy at all with the way one over one is looking at all. The stitches are not even and the gridding has been a huge challenge. I suspect I am going to wing it without the gridding and just frog if I mess up. If I have a bigger stitch count, that won't be as hard. With one over one on 25 count linen, there is just no room to take stitches out if you make a mistake. I'm thinking either 16 count Aida or 28 count Jobelan Linen. I checked prices on both at 123 Stitch and wow, that fabric is expensive! Luckily, I have a birthday this month, so I will wait to order that and my August cottage kit until the money comes rolling in (or if I can convince Justin that the new car is not my birthday present).

I am attempting to "finish" several projects, the first being The Rainbow Bridge. I got it to a point last night where I thought I was done:


I had actually gotten it pinned around the foam core:


...and was seriously pleased with myself until Justin said, "It's crooked." Well, damned if it wasn't!

It's now off the foam core and I am going to Joann's today to get some real measuring tools and a quilter's mat so that I can get that foam core the right size. I was cutting it with a scrapbook mat (10 X 12) and a utility knife. The utility knife was fine, but the scrapboard mat just will not cut it (haha) any longer. Clearly, this needs the correct tools. And once I have those, it should be no problem to finish some other projects I have waiting. Once this and a beautiful surprise gift I have made are "finished," they will go off to the hobby store for framing. If I lace the back myself and have it already mounted, it saves me $30 apiece when I am getting them framed, so it's well worth learning this technique.

I promise to put up a step by step "tutorial" if I am able to get this done right!

That's all for today. I have to run out in my brand new car (okay, one more picture!):

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS

My first brand new car that I picked out for myself since my 1996 Honda Accord. I am absolutely in heaven to have my very own car that isn't a van or an SUV. Really, life is good.

Today would have been Juliana's fifth birthday. I know she is looking down on her parents and her brothers as her parents renew their wedding vows on her birthday and smiling. Will be looking for lots of butterflies today.

Happy stitching!


  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chelle,

    Ich wünsche euch Drei viel Spaß beim Sticken.

    Viel Spaß mit deinem neuen Auto.

    Liebe Grüße
    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the car! Will look forward to your framing tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google translate is awesome! I can read what anyone says from any country. That's truly a remarkable thing about the age we live in!

    Thank you for your support. Justin is going to make my foam core even for me later and I will try to pin it again. Once I get it pinned properly, I will be able to lace it in the back. Taking lots of pictures for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy for you. I saw how many problems you have encountered while stitching the rainbow bridge, and you should be very proud to be able to frame it! Good luck with your SAL.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts for me. I love comments and suggestions!