July 24, 2012

IHSW And Adding a Friend

I have so many pictures for you! I spent all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday stitching. You can get much more hermited (is that a word?) than that.

I got really into my HAED on Friday and just couldn't put it down. The Q Snap frame is much easier on my hands than not using a frame, so I may buy a couple more of these. By Sunday night, I was having a hard time moving my right hand and stitching had to be put down.

But...look at my progress!

Before

After

That's a ton of stitches right there. I estimate that I have done about 3,000 stitches now. Which didn't hit my goal of 5,000 (half the first page), but I was getting to the point that the blue was getting a little old. I really do love the star though - it's partially in Kreinik and very sparkly. When I get to the moon, that is all Kreinik, which I didn't realize. Don't you just love a lot of bling?

Sunday is my SAL with Carrie, so here is how that went:

Before

After

I would have made a lot more progress if I didn't have to frog the entire section of white on the snowman and start over because I had made a one stitch error. (Yes, I am that much of a perfectionist. But it was going to affect the whole thing if I didn't, so I frogged it.)

I also worked just a bit on the May cottage.

Before

After

Not a lot of progress, but by this time, my hand had had enough.

Today is my birthday and my best friend, Malea, came out yesterday to help me celebrate. I taught Malea how to cross stitch and she made me this lovely piece:

 

She wanted beading on it, but wasn't sure which type to use, so after we had a really filling lunch, we went over to Hobby Lobby and picked out some shiny silver beads. We decided that I would put the beads on and she would leave it with me. This is an original design. She took bits and pieces from other designs and put them all together to make this beautiful butterfly for me. It's the first piece she has finished and I am so proud of her and excited to receive this beautiful gift! There are many layers of meaning for us in this design and it will hold an honored place on the wall in my family room when I go back to get it framed. We even picked out the matting and the frame while we were there and, once I finish the beading, I will go back and give it over to the framing goddesses.

Malea is also incredibly creative at making jewelry and brought me this gift:



Some of the charms were already attached and we added a couple more when we went to the craft store. The butterfly is for Juliana and fibromyalgia. The angle is for Juliana. There is also an autism ribbon for Joey and a hope ribbon for Malea and my mom, who are both struggling with aggressive forms of cancer. The believe charm is a friendship charm. She is going to pick up a "big sister" charm for me at AC Moore up where she lives, because we are more like sisters than best friends, although we are that too. The bracelet is a little too big (ok, a lot too big), so she is going to make me a new one that is my wrist size and stretchy instead so I can wear it.

We also dropped off my angel to finally get it professionally framed and she helped me pick the mats and frame for that as well. If you need a place for framing, Hobby Lobby is incredibly reasonable and they do a great job. I have two pieces there right now and The Rainbow Bridge is still here waiting for my vet to stop by.

I am planning two new tabs for my blog this week. I will be putting up the lacing tutorial (I promise!) and I am also going to give Malea a tab of her own to show her work. I believe that will be incentive for her to keep working on her cross stitch, because her life is a lot too hectic right now and cross stitching is so relaxing. So look for those later in the week!

Happy stitching!


  

14 comments:

  1. That is excellent progress on your HAED and I really like your Santa design. Aren't special gifts from friends the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They absolutely are. She is one of my all time favorite people!

      Delete
  2. You made a TON of progress on your HAED! Great work on the others too! Your gifts are lovely. They sound very special. :)

    ~McKenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelle, Happy Birthday to you.
    What a great progress on your HAED.
    I love your Santa Design and the gift is so beautiful.
    Liebe Grüße Grit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a great hermitty weekend, and excellent stitching. I completely understand you frogging the snowman, I would do the same. Sounds like you had a fabulous visit too, hope the rest of your birthday is just as Happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I find a mistake, I simply have to fix it. It takes me longer to finish things, but I love knowing they are as perfect as I can get them.

      Delete
  5. You made great progress on your projects. Your HAED looks amazing. Your gifts are lovely. Happy Belated Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chelle. Sorry I haven't been stitching with you. I just found out last week that my carotid artery on the left side of my neck is 90% blocked and I have to have surgery. I am really bummed. Also, with having another infection in my arm and the blisters on my hands, I haven't been doing anything. I hope to get back to stitching in a few weeks. Your pieces all look great.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so sorry to hear this. Please keep us all updated. I hope the infection clears up soon. It sounds miserable.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you got a ton done! And your birthday gift is gorgeous! I wish I had friends here that stitched, I'd love a piece like that! Can't wait to see it with the beads added! Love the bracelet too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chelle,

    Happy Birthday.
    You made a great progress on your projects and on your HEAD.

    Greetings Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great progress on your wips! And Happy birthday!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated Birthday, Chelle!! Stitching looks great and the presents are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible progress on your HAED! I love my Q-snaps and have several sets. The May cottage is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts for me. I love comments and suggestions!