July 07, 2012

Huge Update!

I've been extremely busy in the last week and kind of off the radar. I apologize for being so behind on blog reading. I have been very focused on the variety of projects that I have going and, to be honest, it's a little overwhelming because I have my sewing supplies all over the house. There are floss and patterns and magazines stored in our bedroom, finishing supplies in the dining room, and works in progress in the family room. I seriously need my own sewing/craft room!

But, I have actually gotten a lot accomplished in the last week. I managed to finish the Rainbow Bridge, as you know, and got it over to the framer. It should be ready in about two weeks.

Here is what else I've been working on.

I was having a lot of trouble with my HAED and was extremely unhappy with the way it was turning out. I had about a half page done and the stitches weren't laying properly and frogging mistakes was out of the question. I decided to change from the 25 count linen, one over one to 16 count Aida, two over one. I got the fabric yesterday and got it cut to the right size, overcast the edges, and gridded up the first page. Here is where I am right now:



I would say this qualifies as a BAP, wouldn't you? The sheer size of the fabric is almost more than I can comprehend and when I do eventually finish it, the framing will be exorbitant! I will worry about that later, though, like maybe five years from now?

I had an Embroidery Guild meeting on Thursday. Now that I am co-chair of the programs committee, I have to go to the board meetings, so I was over at the retirement home pretty much all day. The board meeting was kind of boring, since I am listening and learning at the moment. But it's fun planning out what we will be doing in the coming months and we are well into next year with our plans.

Here is the project we were working on for Thursday's program:


This is cross stitch in DMC floss on perforated paper. I know it sounds strange if you haven't worked on it before, but it's much thicker than normal paper. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to finish this to make it into an ornament, but I bought some green and red felt yesterday at the craft store, so I suspect I will back it with green felt and do a ribbon around the outside.

I also finished my mystery gift over the last week (the pattern was fairly simple but very pretty) and I have it all pinned up and ready to lace. I have a frame I will be using for it, so it just needs to be laced up and put into the frame and it will be ready to wrap. I promise to post pictures of that project after the gift has been received.

I also began work on the sampler I bought at In Stitches in Alexandria when we went to the annual needlework show at Woodlawn.  Here's where I am now:



I made my start in the middle, since that's how I have always started my projects, but since starting the HAED twice now, I am wondering how many people start in the upper left corner. Any thoughts?

I have the May cottage kitted up and ready to begin and the Princess and the Geisha are still in the works in progress bag that I tote around. I'd really like to get the Geisha finished by the end of August and the Princess done by the end of the year. I guess we'll see how much time I am able to devote to each project.

I've seen several blogs that list goals for the year and I am thinking of setting up a monthly goal list, but am not sure I would stick to it, since I'm not much of a rule follower, even if I set the rules myself. Plus, you never really know what might happen that takes you away from your stitching. For me, stitching is a huge stress reliever and I always turn to it when I am feeling overwhelmed with life.

I think that's it for my update. I will be visiting my mother-in-law with my family tomorrow, so I don't know if I will be able to stitch on my SAL with Carrie and Linda. I will probably do some stitching on that one tonight and Monday so I don't fall behind. Carrie, when you finish Mr. Mittens, if you feel like passing along the pattern, I would love to stitch him to go with our SAL of All Hearts Come Home.

Happy stitching and I hope the weather becomes cooler for all of us!


  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chelle,

    I am with you - lots of stitching supplies everywhere - I have to go up and down two floors whenever I want to iron anything. I also tend to stitch what I feel like rather than sticking to stitching lists/goals. Seems like you are getting lots done anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabric looks enormous! Good luck! I have started my HAED recently, and it is all bended over and folded everywhere so I can stitch on the 1st page. I always used to start in the centre since that way the thing would be centred ... a little difficult with a huge project like HAED, plus its easier to follow instructions. On the other hand now that I do gridding ... one can start wherever one likes on the fabric if it is gridded. the problem with started with top right is that I stitch the inverse to (I think the British way). I take needle from bottom up- my cross would go from top left to bottom right, then from right top to bottom left. Which means I prefer to stitch from bottom of fabric up. On the other hand if one starts from top going down ... less chance to make the stitching dirty with hands rubbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your projects are looking great.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts for me. I love comments and suggestions!