June 08, 2012

Trip to Woodlawn Plantation Needlework Show

Yesterday I was lucky enough to be feeling good and went on the field trip with my embroidery guild to Woodlawn Plantation to see the 49th annual needlework show. It would have been more awesome if I hadn't misplaced my regular prescription glasses before we got out of the bus and had to walk it all with my sunglasses on. Not so much fun seeing it in the dark. Turns out, my glasses had fallen out of my bag in the back of the bus, but I didn't figure it out until I had gotten home. Such a bummer. (After I got home, I finally figured out where they were and called our guild president who had the driver check the bus and sure enough, that's where they were. Luckily, my oldest son works at the retirement home whose bus we borrowed and he ran over there last night and picked them up for me. I think he was grateful for the laundry I did for him the other day.)

The show featured 600 works from stitchers all over Virginia and it truly was awesome, especially set against the background of George Washington's plantation. We weren't allowed to take photos inside, but I thought I would give you a look at the outside.


To say that the show was overwhelming would be an understatement.

After we toured the show, we went to Mt. Vernon to have lunch and then went to a local needlework shop called In Stitches. Since I still hadn't discovered my glasses in the back of the bus, I went in with my prescription sunglasses and it was probably a good thing for my credit card balance that I couldn't see as well as I would have liked. I have never seen so many different designers in one place (every one I had ever heard of and lots that I hadn't), all the different floss manufacturers, and any fabric you might want. It was also overwhelming and we only had an hour to figure out what we wanted and leave and I, of course, was the last one out. Here's what I scored:




I got the fabric and floss for the Christmas ornaments and the Sampler, but threw the Lavender and Lace Santa in my pile at the end, so I will have to order the supplies to kit this one up.

Of course, I am so anxious to get started on what I bought yesterday and new projects are always more compelling than the ones we have already started, but I am determined to finish the Rainbow Bridge before starting anything else. So, I pulled that out and got to work last night to try to finish it:



The more I backstitched on the bridge, the more work I realized I still have to do. There is an entire section under the right side of the bridge and I still need to backstitch the rocks on the left and put in the branches for the trees. I am very hopeful that I can get this one done this weekend and move on to something else. My hand has started acting up again from stitching so relentlessly, so hopefully my brace will enable me to do a hermit weekend. I did promise my middle son a trip to get his hair cut and a trip to the DMV to get his learner's permit, but since he isn't asking, I'm kind of waiting to see if he really wants his learner's, because who actually wants to make a trip to the DMV when they could be stitching at home?

I have five projects that need "finishing" (three of the monthly Country Cottages and two Christmas ornaments) and I hope to get those done before pulling anything else out to work on, but my HAED has been calling to me. It's so hard to figure out what I want to work on! If I do get to the finishing, I promise to take pictures and post up how I learned to finish because I know a lot of people struggle with that.

I probably don't have nearly as many projects waiting for me as many of you do, but to me, I have many more than I usually have. I used to be a one project at a time kind of girl, but then again, I used to also be a follow the pattern exactly kind of girl and a kit kind of girl, so I think I am evolving into a "real" stitcher at last. Too bad it took me almost 48 years to get there!

Happy weekend and happy stitching!


  

1 comment:

  1. Great new stash Chelle. Rainbow Bridge is looking good.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts for me. I love comments and suggestions!