June 06, 2012

Rainbow Bridge, Again, But At Least You Can See the Bridge Now

Have you ever gotten to a point when you realized that you are off by maybe one or two stitches, but you figure oh well, it's okay, I'll just adjust? Well, yeah. That's where I am right now with this one:


It looks good, right? But you see where my thread is right now? I'm trying to figure out if I can recover from completely messing up the stitch count underneath the bridge where the lighter color tan is.

And I have to say that I am both heartily sick of this project and determined to finish it, even though I have no idea what to do with it when I am done. I originally bought it for someone I had gotten close to on the internet, but we don't even talk anymore and, even though we are technically still Facebook "friends," the promised email from a long time ago never came. In fact, it's probably been over two years since we really had a "conversation."

Of course, I am an animal lover and I am sure that I could find a spot for this somewhere, except that I kind of hate it now. And who wants to keep something that they are only finishing because they can't stand the idea of leaving it unfinished?

One thing I have gained from this project is the fact that I think I could have designed those animals to be way cuter. That might be a little conceited and arrogant of me, but it's been in the back of my mind that I am having some trouble finding the charts that I have in mind to stitch. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I really think I could have done a better job with this one if I had any idea how one goes about designing a cross stitch chart. Are there you tube videos for that?

I thought about maybe asking for bids on it, but when you put so much of yourself into your stitching and you know you've got so many hours and so much frustration into a project, it's hard to think about sending it out to someone.

Is it normal to start a project thinking it's really, really gorgeous and you have to stitch it and get almost done with it and think, "Why did I pick this project?"

My question to myself for today is do I want to try to get more work done on this one and see if I can salvage the portion where the stitching is wrong by adjusting what's underneath it or do I really want to work on my HAED, which I haven't touched since I (a) got really sick and (b) decided this one had to be finished or it was going to be nagging at me?

I'm leaning towards trying to finish this one in the next two to three days. I promised my 15 year old that I would take him to get his learner's permit, but he's learned that Mom sometimes makes promises she can't keep because of the fibromyalgia and he always ends up getting what I promised. It sometimes just takes a little longer than he had hoped. One thing I'll say for my kids - they are extremely empathetic to my illness. I guess that comes from living with it their entire lives and seeing me in and out of the hospital and doctor's offices.

What do you do when you know you've messed it up but you've come too far to frog it and start over?


  

4 comments:

  1. I say...finish what you set out to do...then you'll have no regrets. Reconnect with your friend, maybe this is that "hint" to reach out to them! You've come this far..don't look back! They won't know what the bridge is/isn't supposed to look like...finagle around your miscount and see what you can do without having to frog. I think it looks like a bridge from the picture, so your miscount must be fixable! :)
    Sending positive thoughts your way, Chelle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go ahead and finish it, of course! Get it out of your head at last. Keep it for the future, and when a new (or old) friend's pet crosses the rainbow bridge, give this to them as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelle. No one is going to know there is a mistake in it. Just go ahead and finish it and if nothing else, hang it in your closet.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be honest - the reason I have a rotation is so that I don't look at a project and go "eff this I'm tired of it." It keeps things fresh for me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts for me. I love comments and suggestions!